Sunday, May 3, 2015

Eastanollee

Crossroads. Confluence. Intersections.
These words describe where I am currently in life.

But here's a little background of where I am from.

Born in 1971, I'm the son of an alcoholic mother and drug abuser dad. I can't use the word father for him since he was also an absentee parent. Respectfully speaking; he's deceased. The person who was primarily involved in the core of my upbringing was my maternal grandmother. She did a stellar job if I do say so myself. It's amazing what not sparing the rod will do for a young man.

Mary Fruster taught me a lot in just a short number of years. To my knowledge, she never left the state of Georgia, except for South Carolina. Everyone makes to Anderson sooner or later. I don't have the time to go into every detail about how she invested so much time and love into my life (and that rod), but I can share that she taught me how to appreciate and make the best of where you are and especially how to appreciate others. No matter who they are or what they are. That's what makes us all so unique. So special. So very special.

Here's a few things she taught me:

Every moment should be savored like it's gonna be your last. You never know when your usual "Good morning/night" might be your last. Savor every moment. Appreciate that moment.

Never be afraid to speak the truth. But be mindful that when you do speak the truth that it's the appropriate time and place. Truth; it's gonna hurt at times.

Never be ashamed of who you are and where you are from. Take pride in who you are and where you are from. Stand tall. Head high.

Relax and enjoy life. It's ok to go lay in the grass and stare at the clouds. But remember that when someone needs you - go. Enjoy the moment.

I could go on and on listing tips and hints as I call them that my grandmother taught me, but I don't have the time. Besides, those memories takes me to a place where I don't want to leave. So instead I will share one last thing.

You are the only person who can be you. Do your best at being you.

I bet you thought I was going to talk about how having not so of great parents made life hard. Yes, it was a challenge, but I found that not giving power to that makes me stronger. Yes, yes that was another tip from Mary Fruster.

No comments:

Post a Comment